Thursday, May 13, 2010

Roasted Garlic

I was browsing some recipe sites and it occurred to me....I have never roasted garlic. It seems so darn easy...I feel silly that I have never done this before. So, I just pulled this recipe and added the necessary ingredients to my shopping list. It looks simple and I bet it tastes good. It calls for butter...which I really can not have thanks to my all new dairy allergy but I will replace that with my Earth's Balance "butter". So here goes....I'll swing in later tonight and let you know how it tastes and try to post a picture for you. Do you have a tried and true recipe for roasting garlic? How do you serve it up?

 

Roasted Garlic ingredients list:

4 heads of garlic.
½ cup of chicken broth.
2 tablespoons of butter.
½ teaspoon of dried leaf thyme.
¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
¼ teaspoon of salt.

Instructions for Roasted Garlic:

Remove the outer peel from the garlic and slice the top off  (see picture)

Place the garlic cloves in a baking dish.

Dab each clove with butter.

Sprinkle the garlic cloves with thyme, pepper and salt.

Pour the chicken broth into the dish.

Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350°F (175°C) for one hour, basting frequently.

Uncover the dish and bake at the same temperature for another 15 minutes.

Serve as you wish.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I tried this roasted garlic recipe tonight...and it was pretty darn good. I know it is a success when I serve to both my mother and my son and they agree its yummy. They are a tough pair....usually I can please one but rarely both.

Namari said...

Hey Alyssa, I'm finally roasting the garlic I keep asking you about! I sprinkled it with parsley, basil, and a few drops of olive oil.
Nancy Novak